CJ-3B's as early as 1953 were converted to fire service by individual fire departments as well as after-market manufacturers.
Here's a pretty practical idea for a fire Jeep -- and this CJ-3B was still in use by the Southbridge (Massachusetts) Fire Department when this photo was taken by Roger Lavallee in May 2006 at the Tri-State Firemen's Muster in Webster MA.
Tremaine Cooper sent a photo of the interior (50K JPEG) and says, "The top racks were taken off after driving in the woods with them was found not to be a good idea (low branches). They replaced the direct drive front pump with a Honda gas pump that they could service more easily. Otherwise pretty original."
A 1953 CJ-3B was part of the factory fire brigade at the DE (Douwe Egberts) coffee processing plant in Joure, Friesland, in the Netherlands. Together with its 1935 mobile pump (180K JPEG), it wasn't retired from stand-by duty till 2004, and is now in a private collection.
Davydutchy, who uploaded the photos to Flickr, thinks the trailer pump engine (160K JPEG) may be a Lincoln. Thanks to Davydutchy and to Wes Kibble.
This 1953 Willys was the original brush Jeep at West Bradford Fire Company in Pennsylvania, who now have a very slick CJ-7 designated Brush 39.
Jim Fairweather of West Bradford says, "I believe that the 3B was purchased from Herb Wiley (20K JPEG) here in West Chester. That's the same Wiley Bros. & Lewis mentioned in From Broadway to Halfmoon Valley Road on The CJ3B Page. My Grandfather bought a '48 Willys PU there as well."
Here's a unique conversion, done either by an apparatus builder or a very ambitious volunteer fire company. We don't know its origins, but it was donated to Blandford Area Fire Rescue in Nova Scotia, Canada, by nearby Hubbards Fire Department, when BAFR was established in 1965.
The 1956 CJ-3B had a 200-gallon water tank, and Hubbards also donated a surplus 1947 Ford oil truck to serve as a water tanker. The Blandford department answered a total of eight alarms their first year, all of which were fires.
This is a 1959 brushfire unit that was originally owned by a fire company in Lexington, Minnesota, who put only 4248 miles on it. It has a water tank and booster reel in the rear. It's being restored by Ed Spigle in his Dream Garage in Virginia. He put the street-legal amber flasher on the windshield frame.
A rear view (90K JPEG) shows the Gorman Rupp pump with a 3 HP Briggs engine, mounted on the passenger-side floor. A rear step provides space for a couple of riders. It currently has a clear plastic panel in the dash (80K JPEG) where the 2-way radio had been installed.
See also a right side view (130K JPEG).
Still in service and looking very functional when it was featured in an early issue of Jp magazine, this 1964 CJ-3B is a grassfire rig in Austintown, Ohio. It carries a 100-gallon tank, two 200 ft. hose reels, and a battery of extinguishers.
The full article, written and photographed by David Fetherston, is now on the Jp website.
This CJ-3B belonging to the fire department in Dennison, Ohio, was taken out of service with only 6,519 miles on the odometer. It formerly belonged to the nearby city of Uhrichsville, but was sold to Dennison for $1 as a brush fire vehicle.
Shawn Nelson, who drove this Jeep for Dennison at one time, says he thinks it was a 1953 model. "The real bad thing was it sat outside all year long uncovered. It did have a half rag top on it which rotted away, and then it was left to the elements. The truck was restored from the ground up in I think 1987 by Buckeye Joint Vocational School but being left outside all those years didn't do it much good." After these photos were taken by Bob Christy, the Jeep was sold by the Department and later dismantled. See a closer photo of the large front pump platform (40K JPEG).
The Seward, Alaska Volunteer Fire Department originally acquired this CJ-3B as a pumper. The Jeep was in service untiil 2006 as their Mountain Rescue Unit and snowplow. It could carry two personnel in the cab and two more standing on the tailboard with climbing harnesses locked on. The top of the Jeep was equipped with a platform for carrying a victim in a rescue basket. It's seen here in action during the Mt. Marathon Race on July 4, 2000. The foot race follows city streets, and then up the face of Mt. Marathon, a climb of over 3,000 feet, and back down. See also a front view photo (50K JPEG) of the CJ-3B.
Another department in Alaska that apparently has a CJ-3B is the Girdwood FD. It's just visible in the background of a photo of their old Medic 41 (70K JPEG.)
Here's an historic photo of a nicely-appointed fire Jeep back in its glory days. This 1954 CJ-3B, serial number 454GB2 14209, was originally purchased by the St. Clair, Missouri Volunteer Fire Department. It was converted by Central Fire Truck Corporation of St. Louis, who added standard fire hydrant connections, a PTO-driven pump, 100-gallon tank and a front-mounted winch. The total cost was $3,400.
The Jeep is now used on Kenny Jahnsen's farm in Grubville, Missouri, and no longer has the fire equipment. The PTO now runs a rear winch.
Thanks to Dale Bruns for the photo.
The Jeepin' Wests in Pennsylvania added this CJ-3B fire engine to their Jeep collection. Melanie West says the Jeep was formerly in service in Ripley, Ohio. See more photos and information on their website in2jeep.com.
Jim Allen pointed out in his article "How to Restore Your Jeep" in the June/July 1998 issue of Jp magazine, that because fire Jeeps can't be used for much other than display, they are not generally as attractive to collectors as they might be. But the Wests have used this one for hosing the mud off Jeeps at off-road events.
Thanks to Karen Corrigan of the Seward VFD, Dale Jonas, Bob Christy, Tremaine Cooper, Adriaan Kriek and Brian Gough. -- Derek Redmond
Return to Fire Service Jeeps on The CJ3B Page.
CJ3B Home | Site Map | Updates | Search | Links | Bulletin Board