Carter YF Carburetor Service Information
Here it is, straight from the horse's mouth: the original Carter Carburetor specs, service procedures, and technical bulletins, covering their temperamental YF carburetor. Karl Russell collected these documents, which represent an invaluable source of information for anyone trying to get the best performance from their YF (original equipment on the CJ-3B Universal Jeep.)
Click on any of the links to see a full-page reproduction of that sheet (70-160K GIF or JPEG).
Specs and Adjustments
Carter Carburetor Corporation Form 4939, March 1953:
Model CJ-3B YF Down-Draft Carbureter No. 938S
- Page 1 -- specifications and adjustments for the CJ-3B carb.
- Page 2 -- parts list for the CJ-3B carb.
Form 4939X, Revised September 1961:
Models CJ-3B, CJ-5, CJ-6, FC-150 YF Down-Draft Carbureter
- Page 1 -- later edition of specs and adjustments; no illustrations.
- Page 2 -- later edition of parts list, including kit to improve steep angle idle.
Adjustment details and illustrations for the YF carb used on Willys trucks and wagons (also useful for the CJ-3B)
- Page 2 -- float adjustment and metering rod adjustment.
- Page 3 -- accelerating pump and fast idle adjustment.
Disassembly and Reassembly
Carter Carburetor Corporation Form 3526, December 1949:
Service Procedure, YF Downdraft Carbureter
- Page 1 -- disassembly up to removing metering rod jet.
- Page 2 -- disassembly completed; grouping of parts for reassembly.
- Page 3 -- reassembly up to installing diaphragm housing.
- Page 4 -- reassembly completed.
Carter Carburetor Corporation General Bulletins
Thanks to Karl Russell for this Carter documentation, and to Steve Chabot for the 1961 sheet. -- Derek Redmond
See also YF Carburetor Tips and the Solex Replacement Carburetor on The CJ3B Page.
Return to CJ-3B Specs and Tech Tips.
CJ3B Home | Site Map | Updates |
Links | Bulletin Board
Last updated 20 February 2001 by Derek Redmond firstname.lastname@example.org
All content not credited and previously copyright, is copyright Derek Redmond