Howe Fire Apparatus of Anderson, Indiana turned out a lot of fire engines on the Jeep Forward Control truck chassis in the late 1950's and early 60's.
This one I don't have any details on; it appears to be a carbon-dioxide extinguisher truck. Built on an FC-150 chassis, it carries a battery of CO2 tanks connected to two hose reels. The logo on the door suggests the truck in this factory photo was destined for a small airport.
Seen here on display at the 2002 Spring Willys Reunion in Toledo, this FC-170 belongs to Richard Kimball of West Liberty, Ohio. Built as a pumper for service in rural Ohio, it carries suction hose for drafting, a ladder on the right side and front tow rings. It doesn't have the extra equipment stowage or the second booster reel seen on the unit above. See Howe Jeep Forward Control Pumper for detail photos of this truck and its pump controls.
This is the builder's photo of a 1959 unit for Parma Heights, Ohio. It has a 500 GPM pump and 200-gallon tank, with Howe serial number 10428. The larger copy of the photo (50K JPEG) shows the different location of the pressure gauges, between the two mounted lengths of suction hose. It has equipment storage aft of the rear fender. See also a right rear view photo (60K JPEG).
This 1962 FC-170 was one of three owned by the Libbey-Owens-Ford glass company, who supplied windshields to the Jeep plant in Toledo. This Jeep was sent to the L-O-F plant in Lathrop, California. It was Howe model HRS-F, Howe serial no. 11201, and Willys Serial no. 61568-22930. It is now preserved at Willys America, with its Waterous CF-3 500 GPM pump, and 3756 miles on the odometer.
Libbey-Owens-Ford Unit 51 was a 1964 Howe bought for the L-O-F plant in Collingwood, Ontario, and later donated to the City of Rossford, a suburb of Toledo. See a rear view and right side view (40K JPEG's) taken by Dick Garard. In 2001 the truck was donated to the Toledo Fire Museum, who have more photos on their website.
The first Libbey-Owens-Ford unit was a similarly-equipped but earlier 1958 model, in service at the factory in Rossford, which at one point employed 3600 workers. Note the L-O-F shield on the door (covered by a City of Rossford emblem on the third unit, above.) When the company disbanded their fire departments, Unit 50 was placed on permanent loan to the Jeep House collection at the old factory in Toledo, and is now at the Chrysler museum. Photo by Andy Harvey.
See a right rear view (40K JPEG), a left side view and the cab interior (50K JPEG's).
I also took some close photos of the front-mounted pump platform on Unit 50, which makes an impressive array of machinery. See the pump from the front view, the right side and the left side (50K JPEGs).
A Howe advertisement in Andy Harvey's collection (exact date unknown) indicates that Howe referred to its Forward Control apparatus, at least at some point, as the "Commando". This is surprising, since Willys used the name in the 1950's for the Willys Commando Fire Truck version of its 6-226 truck.
The List of Uses (50K JPEG) on this sheet recommends the Commando for public institutions, industrial plants, villages, farming areas, and first-run use in larger cities. The small text also mentions mines, oil fields, summer resorts, lumbering operations, airports and ranches. The Super-Hurricane engine is described as having power to spare even on steep terrain and when operating the 500 GPM pump at 150 lbs. pressure.
Particularly suited for conversion as a pumper with water tank was the heavy duty FC-170DRW, introduced in 1959. With dual rear wheels and Dana-Spicer 70 rear axle, it had a gross vehicle weight of up to 9000 pounds. This factory photo from the collection of Steve Hagy shows a 1960 FC-170DRW, serial number 10679, delivered to Bayou La Batre, Alabama (which Steve mentions was the location of the "fishin' hospital" in the movie Forrest Gump.)
This FC-170 DRW is another truck in the collection at Willys America, the Willys truck specialists in Cazadero, California. The truck was purchased new by A. O. Smith Corp. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and served from 1960 until November 2000 at their large plant, racking up 6,400 miles. The Howe body has a 300-gallon water tank, an Ansul dry chemical unit, and a front mounted CF-3 500GPM pump.
This 1964 FC-170 DRW was apparently bought new by the Western Electric Co. in Princeton NJ. It has a Waterous front-mount pump and equipment cabinets along the full length of the body. This means extinguishers and axes are mounted at the rear (60K JPEG). The low-mileage truck has a very original interior (30K JPEG). Current owner is unknown.
Thanks to Andrew Harvey, Steve Hagy, Bill Brennan, Paul Barry, and Jim Allen. -- Derek Redmond
Return to Jeep Forward Control Fire Engines.
See more Fire Service Jeeps on The CJ3B Page.
CJ3B Home | Site Map | Updates | Search | Links | Bulletin Board